Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)

Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)



Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)



Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .) is a promotional item. To increase sales of the product. It can make you love it. Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .) is a great product. Quality of work. Corresponds to a very And that it is affordable. I bought it from the Internet to use Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .) . And it makes me very impressed. I introduced people I know. Its good to see. Effective The collar is the most in demand. Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .) is important to the price. If you want to see detail of Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .) . Please click on the Get Discount Price Here.











Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .) Overview



A unique exploration into the subtle art of the book cover

High standards in art and design have always been part of Penguin's publishing program. Now, on the occasion of Penguin's 75th anniversary, longtime art director Paul Buckley has chosen seventy-five covers that represent the best of what Penguin has produced over the course of the last decade. Giving readers a rare behind-the-scenes glimpse into the complex creation of a book's cover, Penguin 75 includes comments from authors, agents, and editors, as well as the designers and artists themselves. This witty and irreverent journey into the book world will appeal to lovers of art, design, and, of course, books.

With Contributions By:
Paul Auster * Tara McPherson * Daniel Clowes * David Byrne * Elizabeth Gilbert * Joe Sacco * Tana French * T.C. Boyle * Seth * Tom Gauld * William T. Vollmann * Art Spiegelman * Kim Edwards * Melissa Bank * Ruben Toledo * Tomer Hanuka * Jamie Keenan * Roz Chast * Garrison Keillor * Yoshihiro Tatsumi * Sam Weber * Paul Sahre * Tony Millionaire * Nicholas Blechman * Jon Gray and many others!







Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .) Specifications



Making the Book Covers
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

Little Women

"I hired Julie for this particular title because...well, I'd rather not describe in print the things I've seen her draw...Google image 'Julie Doucet' (turn SafeSearch to off) and you'll see what I really mean--Julie gets REALLY DARK, and I thought she'd turn this book on its head. At the end of the day, though, the book is what it is, and the most we could do was the make light mention of boys. I insisted on pimples, though...lots and lots of pimples."
--Paul Buckley, Art Director

Read more about the Little Women cover...

Junky

"I came up with the selected cover in just a few minutes of thinking about it. It was my first idea. I sketched it out and really liked it. There was both sadness and wit, which I thought nailed the sentiment of the book. However, I dismissed it almost as quickly as I rendered it because I didn't believe it could come that easily. I set it aside and spent the better part of a week trying to come up with something I thought was stronger. Eventually, I came up with some alts that I liked, but none as much as this one."
--Neil Powell, Designer | Illustrator

Read more about the Junky cover...

How Does It Feel to Be a Problem?

"From the outset this seemed like a sensitive and tricky subject. How do you grab attention without offending anyone? The title is great and also needed to be fairly prominent. Best solution seemed to be something typographic. So with the help of a free Internet translator, I got to work. I thought of the most offensive phrase I could, then plastered it across the cover in Arabic! Genius, right?"
--John Gray, Designer

Read more about the How Does It Feel to Be a Problem? cover...






1. This page is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


2. Amazon, the Amazon logo, Endless, and the Endless logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.


3. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.


Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...